Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Long time no see....



I can't believe it's been a year since I posted on my blog. Actually, I can believe it. And I'm not feeling great about it, but what can you do. Life happens, and you go through the motions and all of a sudden you realize that you haven't done the things that you set out to do and blah blah blah. It happens.

Actually, I do have a good excuse for not posting for so long. I had to relocate from New York to Toledo to take care of my mom who-the day after I returned to Toledo- passed away quite quickly and unexpectedly from cancer. The day after she died I found out that the State of Ohio is taking her house-which essentially was supposed to be my house as it's been in my family for 70 years-because her insurance didn't cover everything. Needless to say, it was a bad week. I actually bailed to Southeast Asia for the winter to prevent the onset of a nervous breakdown that I felt was coming down on me, hard, fast, and with no mercy.

It's been a year now-almost a year to the day of my last blog entry, as a matter of fact-and I'm feeling more capable and together. I'm still in Toledo, a bit longer than I thought I would be, but it's good. I need to stay here to settle my mom's estate anyways and it just feels right to be here for a while. Because this is where I grew up, it's good to come to terms with the loss here. Besides some documentary work I did in Taiwan last winter, this year was pretty unproductive. It's recently been all coming back to me and I'm starting to focus on my work again-using recent events to fuel my image making which consequently is making me experience a catharsis of sorts, difficult though it may be.

Even though I always said I'd never live in Toledo again, I'm beginning to realize that no matter how much you try to plan, life is just full of surprises and it's best to let the wrenches turn as they may. Every cloud has a silver lining, right? One good thing about being in Toledo is that I'm free from the exorbitant cost of living that I experienced in New York City, which consequently gives me a lot more time to make work instead of slaving away at some dumb job to pay my $1000 rent.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read. This background information, I feel, is good to keep in mind when viewing my blog as it's what's fueling a lot of the images I'm presently making.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I know a lot about setting out to do things and blah, blah, blah.

Good to have you here. Keep posting.