Monday, August 17, 2015

City-New York

"City-New York" is a series in the body of work "City" that I've been producing for the past ten years. "City" investigates things that are happening in a particular city. I am greatly influenced by whatever city I am living in-its energy, its joys, its sorrows, its oxymorons. Taking in all that a city is inspires and feeds my work.

New York, with all its glory is, in many ways, the ultimate city when it comes to oxymorons. It’s bizarre that one can be in a subway car smashed up to the person next to them, on a crowded street, in a long line at a store and act like nobody else is around. It confounds me that people walk down the streets with swerving traffic, noise blaring, and neon signs but just stare ahead of them like nothing out of the ordinary is going on. And I guess for New York that is the case. And perhaps in order to survive in such a crowded, overstimulated city, one needs to be this way.

This work was created from 2008-2009.










No comments: